Saturday, July 3, 2010

Critically Thinking...

Whyy are we trained as human beings to be so critical?

I took a class while I was a dance major that taught us how to analyze dances. Great skill. Fast forward to me sitting in a concert, trying to enjoy a dance piece. Impossible.

We're taught to be critical of movies. Be honest, you always read rotten tomatoes before you go see a movie. Unless it's Eclipse. You go hoping your $8.50 will be worth it and even if it isn't, you go again the next week. But the minute you get out of a movie you're dissecting each element of the film in your head, and then in the car ride home with your friends.

And you write critical papers. Your TA's want you to "think deeper". To look at things from another perspective. Good for your education. Not good with human beings.

So then you go on a date. Tricky huh? Cuz you can't be picky. But you're watching the way he eats, if he opens the door and everything he's saying. You're also observing his body language. Does he like you? Will you get to go out again (calm down, you just got your menu)? Post date, how are his texts? His response time? Wow we just can't enjoy an evening can we? We're being those critical thinker's we've been trained to be.

Oh and now you're looking in the mirror. Guess what happens? I don't need to tell you what happens. You're squishing and touching your face, looking at it from different angles, making faces and you're not happy. You're being critical.

I'm going to try this week to not be so critical. I'm not going to critical of my friends, of movies, of boys and especially myself.

Let things be the way they are. Enjoy them.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, especially with dating! I am going to adopt your goal of being less critical. I'm interested, what provoked this thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i reallllllllly love this. a lot.

    ReplyDelete