Thursday, February 23, 2012

Processed Foods

I almost commented on someone's blog about processed foods but my husband's comment of, "people will be so annoyed with you"...stopped me.
So I decided to write a blog post about it.

Get ready to be annoyed.

Processed foods are sooooo bad for you. Oh my gosh the plague! I can't eat something canned. Actually you can. Just don't eat chef boyardee.
Processing a food is anything and everything. If you don't eat processed foods then you can't eat anything. Really. Washing something counts as processing. So stop washing your food. Cutting means processing so stop cutting your food- don't make that really healthy vegetable soup that has you slicing and dicing. Peeling is also processing. So, always eat your oranges with the peel on. Even picking fruit off the vine is processing a food.
My food science class makes me so smart.

The nutrient level of your freshly picked apple is at its peak so eat it as soon as it comes off the tree. If it sits in your fridge for a few days the nutrient level plummets. After food has been frozen it drops a bit in the nutrient level...then it stays stable for months. MONTHS. Same with canning. Cutting your tomatoes, adding salt and water and a bit of chloride actually retains nutrients. And chloride doesn't kill you-it firms up those tomatoes.

Check your ingredient labels, look up what things are. BHT is a preservative and it's not harmful-unless you eat a whole can of it. Moderation in all things.

Eat your fresh fruit and vegetables, cut out things you don't want in your body but please know what processing means before you start cutting it out of your diet. You would die.

I get that people like to be healthy. I like being healthy but don't freak out if you see something like velveeta in your pantry. Sure, don't eat it everyday, but use moderation. Be moderate about being healthy. Enjoy life and enjoy eating.

I'm done. Are you annoyed?

7 comments:

  1. Not at all. Please come lecture some people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! I love you. And I have been on this kick as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I comment on like every post. But I totally agree (and now I really nope it wasn't my blog that said something about that...) that we can't live our lives in terror of a little bit of salt or something. I mean, just read the labels and find the healthiest option and live your life. And the way I see it, if I didn't have things like canned beans and tomato sauce and stuff like that I would NEVER eat it! Who has time to soak beans for like forever? And didn't Delynne say that Mary Bee Jensen lived off of Coke and Snicker's bars anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not entirely related to this post-- have you ever made mujaddarah? It's tasty and really cheap! Just search for any recipe- here's one for starters http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mujaddara-arabic-lentil-rice/

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOPE. This health food craze is getting out of hand. I'll admit us California's started it. But taking it to the levels some folks have is insane.

    ReplyDelete