Saturday, January 28, 2012

Politically Speaking

So...
Tanner and I have gotten into politics lately. I figured since I was 22 it was high time I registered to vote (still haven't done that-I need my name change applied to my driver's license. And yes, I realize I've been married for six months BUT our Christmas tickets were purchased under my maiden name...) So we have spent the last couple of weeks reading about the candidate's views, opinions and watching the debates. Quite entertaining and quite informative. I find that whenever I read about education I get worked up, especially when the word charter comes up...and people endorse it. That's just my opinion though. In any event, we're really enjoying all the articles circulating the news about Romney and Mormonisn, Gingrich (I can never say his name correctly) and cute Ron Paul. Ron Paul is seriously adorable in his 76 year old way...that being said I would like to know what he believes in rather than peace, friendship and a government that hardly governs.

Okay, so I really have nothing to say of importance...and I really don't know a whole lot yet. BUT I'm learning and I love it. I love coming home and diving into the news and reading about our country. I live in a great country. It may be rough around the edges and people may be dissatisfied and angry but America is great. We are so blessed to live here. We're blessed that people can run for office and that we get to vote. And our votes really do count for something. We won't be killed for thinking something contrary to the government officials. We're blessed.

Are you getting into the primary's? What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Cam. is. obsessed.

    Every waking moment is spent checking updates (he's a huge Romney supporter since he worked out in Boston on Romney's campaign last time he ran, so we've had the opportunity to meet Mitt several times since we've been married), so I've had no choice but to listen to all the Republican debates. And I agree. I'm actually enjoying myself, surprisingly!! I really love learning about it, although Cam's obsession can be a little much at times :)

    I also think it's wonderful that we live in a Nation that has the freedom to campaign the way they do. Sometimes I wonder how they don't get in trouble when they slam the president, like if that were to happen in England they'd say "off with his head" for treason or something, ya know? Haha but I love that they can openly discuss what they believe the president's faults have been and why they would be better running the country than Obama or other past presidents.

    I love America :)

    And if you haven't watched the movie Patriot ever or lately, rent it edited (it's rated R for violence), and you will yet again feel a deep love for our country and for what so many have fought and died for in our behalf so we could be a free nation. We are so blessed!!

    Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh my I have too much to say about this actually, but I am so happy you're getting into it! I think I always sort of have been, so I was always sad (read: frustrated) when I'd try to talk to my friends and they knew nothing, and even worse -- didn't care! Maybe in high school that makes sense, but I really do believe (sorry for standing on a soap box) that it is SO important that we, as young adults, take part in whats going on. What is going on now will directly effect our generation, but not only that -- the ability to participate is SUCH a blessing. I know people tend to believe that their vote/voice doesn't go a long way, and I could give you thousands of examples where only a few swing votes changed everything... But it's more than that. It's the fact men and women have died fighting for these rights we have. Like you said, we are SO blessed to live here and to be involved in what goes on.

      I don't mean to rant and rave, but I am so glad you're getting into it too! Max is taking a Government class up at the U and I notice we're spending more and more of our time discussing politics and its actually SO great.

      Love you Katrina!

      Delete
  2. Matt and I LOVE politics. Seriously. And we're definitely rooting for Mitt. We both hate (maybe a strong word??) Gingrich (can you say slimy?) and will write in Mitt Romney if he's the nominee. Matt says Ron Paul's view would work in a perfect world where everyone loves everyone and takes responsibility for themselves... not really happening. We listen to talk radio to and from school and work and are always checking news websites for the latest.

    ReplyDelete