Sunday, February 19, 2012

Virtual...Reality?

I never write on this blog.
I'm sorry.
I also deleted my facebook account...so you have virtually (ha) no connection with me unless you call me. I also hardly answer texts back. Really though, unless you're my mother, sister or husband it takes at least a day or two for me to text you back. If you call, I will call you back sooner.

So I have disconnected myself from the internet...besides Pinterest. You can still find me there. I just recipe hunt and yes, I actually do make the majority of what I pin. So follow me there if you're starving for a bit of my life...on the internet.


I had two experiences this weekend I want to share.
1) We had a show in Twin Falls Idaho. As I'm changing and frantically trying to clean up my scattered costumes, someone comes to tell me that my friend is here and wants to see me. I rush out to greet her. It was so fun to see her for a few minutes. I hadn't seen her in quite a while...is a year a stretch? It was close to that. In any event, we chatted for a second and she commented on doing something in her life... here was this friend who I hadn't seen in a while and I knew she was dating someone, what he had done for her for Valentine's and other things going on in her life...weird.

2) I caught a ride home from my friend and her husband who are in my ward. Very kind of them. We were chatting and catching up, because again, I hadn't talked to her face to face for a while. I asked where she would be student teaching/interning this fall. She told me the school and I realized, oh, I already knew that because I read your blog.
Again, slightly creepy

Really I'm just sharing thoughts because it's been two weeks since I've said anything and I know some people want to read what is going on in my life. I like reading your blogs too and I'm not going to stop and I will continue to know things about people I never speak to anymore and it will be slightly creepy. Yay for the internet.

But I know it isn't reality. We're not really friends just because I read your blog. It's like reading about Harry Potter...You're his best friend and you know everything about him, his thoughts, hopes and dreams. Then one day, you run into him and you have nothing to talk about because you're like...I grew up with you and know you...but you don't know that. And then you have nothing to say because you don't need to ask questions-they already post all the answers on the internet.

So strange.

Read Elder Bednar's talk about this. So good.

Have a lovely Monday tomorrow :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey! That was me! Don't worry, I know stuff about people because of their blogs, too. I think about that talk and I don't know if it's a good thing. Especially if it replaces real interaction. But sometimes life if busy and I don't know if it is better to keep in touch however little I can via blogs? I just don't know. It's a quandary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    I added you on Pinterest to check out your recipes :) Where do you get your Indian spices for curry? I can't find them at my usual grocery store and have thought about buying them online but don't want to pay for shipping. Any hidden gems out there?

    Glad to see you blogging! Blog more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy-there's a place on University Ave called Bollywood Market. I heard it's moving...but if you go within the next couple of weeks it should still be there. I got curry and garam marsala there for super cheap. You can freeze it until you use it and it will stay better :) I also mix it with a curry my mom got me from Trader Joe's. I find the best way to make curry is to mix and match. There's also a Thai place in Provo on 300 N, I'm not quite sure of the cross road. AND if you aren't happy with what you find there, go (as your last resort) to Many Lands on 500 E kitty corner from Macy's and Sonic. The quality there is not great and the man is semi creepy...so take your husband. Sorry to bombard you, let me know if you have any other questions :)

      Delete
  3. Um. I really loved seeing you and I do not think a year is a stretch. I have not seen you for SO SO long. I will make sure I watch for you on pinterest only now since I know that is where I can find you. Love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete